Pages

The Great Barrier Reef. Enough Said.

We spent the last  two days in Cairns taking boats out and exploring different parts of the Great Barrier Reef. Our first day we went out to Green Island, which turned out to be crowded and I was stuck with an unpleasant headache. After getting off of the fairy, I snorkeled around and decided to go venture by myself and find somewhere a little more isolated. I went around a cove and found a beautiful beach where there was no one to be found and spent the afternoon there before returning back to the ferry and heading back to Cairns. The next day we took a Ocean Free dive boat out to Upolu Cay where I did my first scube dive in the ocean! (underwater scuba pictures to follow once I get them developed!) It was one of the most amazing things I have ever experienced and even saw a huge turtle that I could swim up to. Breathing underwater brings you to a whole new level of being able to really explore the ocean. I will definitely be coming back to do more diving. The water was so warm and clear and the skies were blue and sunny, so it was a perfect day in Australian paradise. The coral was amazing as well, which I wasn't sure of since all of the tourism the reef draws. We headed back to Cairns and I was satisfied with my day of diving. We ended up at a local pub drinking beer with some local divers.

Just a side note- If you ever get to visit Cairns, look up at the trees! There are thousands of bats hanging upside down during the day and at night they fill the sky. It is a really bizarre sight.


my private beach at Green Turtle Island

Blue skies and waters

marina at Cairns

norkelin'

Upolu Reef






Now off to New Zealand!

No comments:

Post a Comment